Saturday, June 29, 2013

DIY Coasters

I have pinned so many DIY projects on Pinterest but never followed through with any of them until now! I went into this project expecting it to turn out like a mess (which usually happens when I attempt crafty things) So when this turned out pretty good, I was impressed and knew I had to share! It is so easy, very inexpensive, and makes an adorable gift!


Materials
  • Mod Podge
  • Foam Brush
  • Tiles (I bought plain white ones from Home Depot for $.16 each)
  • 1 roll of thin cork
  • 1 can of clear acrylic sealant
  • Scissor or paper cutter (using a paper cutter will make your squares neater)
  • Scrap book paper (You can also use wedding invitations/baby announcements/pictures/cards/decorative napkins, etc)<
  • Heavy duty glue
  • Card board (This is to work on so you don’t get mod podge all over your hardwood table top like I did)
  • Ribbon/Tags/baskets (if you are giving them as a gift)
Cost cutting Tip: You can also use felt for the back of your coasters which is less expensive compared to the cork. The cork I bought was from AC Moore and was $7.99 for a roll. I used a %40 off coupon which you can find here for AC Moore and here for Michaels. They usually have 50% off coupons on certain days too. I will get about 12 squares with the roll I bought, but there are all different sizes you can purchase.

Instructions 

  • Cut your squares/cork/felt (make sure the squares are a little smaller than the actual coaster) 
  • Paint the mod podge onto one square at a time (work fast because it dries quickly) 
  • Center your paper onto the square and press down from the middle out (this helps with air bubbles) 
  • Let dry for about 10 minutes (I was inpatient and waited about 5 so it really doesn’t make a difference) 
  • Paint the mod podge over the paper (do this 3 times letting each layer dry for 10 minutes in between. Also, make sure your strokes are in the same direction) I let my squares sit over night before I did the next step 
  • Spray each square with the acrylic sealant (Again, I let mine dry overnight) 
  • Glue the cork/felt onto the back of each tile 
  • You’re all done! 
Tip: If you want to, you can sand down the sides of the tiles. I decided not to because I felt like it gave the coasters a rustic look. 


Gift idea: Make a gift basket with your coasters, wine/martini glasses & a bottle of wine/alcohol. You can add in a drink mix, shaker, wine stopper, corkscrew, etc….Be creative & have fun! 

Please leave a comment and let me know if you tried making these. Send a picture of your finished project to my instagram (marisfischer86) and tag @mariscreativelove

1 comment:

Kelly said...

These are SO cute!

xx
Kelly
Sparkles and Shoes
Don't forget about the switch to BlogLovin!